Protest held over Sunday fixture

crnxvyrrzaxq

first_imgA peaceful religious protest has taken place outside Windsor Park in opposition to Northern Ireland’s first ever Sunday fixture on home soil. The Irish Football Association has never before staged an international game on a Sunday but was forced to break new ground by UEFA’s ‘Week of Football’ initiative. Euro 2016 qualifiers are now spread throughout the international period, with dates allocated automatically by computer. Press Associationcenter_img But the Tyndale Memorial branch of the Free Presbyterian Church has criticised the IFA for failing to seek dispensation and declining to inform local church groups. Reverend Raymond Robinson, whose congregation held placards and handed out leaflets on Donegall Avenue, told Press Association Sport: “Our opposition is to the breaking of observance of the Lord’s day. “We believe in the Sabbath being kept holy. It seems more and more that the football agenda is being driven by the television companies and not what God says, or what public opinion is. “A delegation met the IFA and expressed our concerns. We found it interesting that the likes of Gibraltar and Spain had special circumstances (within the UEFA schedule) but the IFA couldn’t have the same for observing Sunday as the Lord’s day. “We were also surprised at the IFA not contacting local churches about the fixture, which we felt would have been common courtesy. “They did say they would seek to accommodate us and help out but if we had never mentioned it that would never have happened.” last_img read more

Riley wants Beaton to concentrate on longer format of the game

crnxvyrrzaxq

first_imgDIRECTOR of the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) and Chairman of the Barbados Pride cricket franchise, Conde Riley, urges Guyanese fast bowler Ronsford Beaton to concentrate more on the longer format of the game.Riley is of the opinion that the 24-year-old is too promising to only play the shorter format of the game.Riley made the comments during his feature address at the Guyana Cricket Board’s (GCB) 2016 Awards ceremony last Thursday night at the Umana Yana.“I’d like to urge Mr Beaton to concentrate more on the longer format of the game where he will build his stamina and fitness and go on to represent the West Indies if he so desires.“I certainly believe that he is too promising to only play the shorter format. He was our leading fast bowler four years ago at the Under-19 World Cup in New Zealand when we reached the semi-finals. He must give back more to the region and Guyana,” Riley said.Conde RileyHaving shown great aggression and hostility during his admirable career so far, many feel he already has the potential to don the prestigious maroon colours, but the West Indies A team pacer who has played 33 First-class games since his debut against the England Lions in 2011, was overlooked as part of the Guyana Jaguars first-choice plans for the 2016/17 Professional season.However, after being ignored, Beaton was a part of the West Indies ‘A’ team which travelled to Sri Lanka back in October last year to play in an unofficial Test and ODI tournaments.He regained some confidence and form during the tour, returning figures of; 3-26, 2-41, and 2-38 in the 50-over format, before being called up to play for the Dhaka Dynamites in the fourth edition of the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL).With 64 First-class wickets, Beaton, who was among a squad of 14 young players who received training at the Sagicor High Performance Centre (HPC) for the 2013-14 programme, is part of the Leeward Islands Hurricanes 20-man squad preparing for the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) Super50 competition scheduled to start later this month.last_img read more

Former Syracuse guard Chibane to join Buffalo Bills as undrafted free agent

crnxvyrrzaxq

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Long stressful process. Draft didn’t go the way i hoped but I’ve decided to join the Buffalo Bills. Excited for this opportunity #BillsMafiaAdvertisementThis is placeholder text— Zack Chibane (@Bane_75) April 28, 2013 The 6-foot-5, 298-pound Chibane helped block for a 1,000-yard rusher in each of his three seasons as an anchor on the offensive line. The man who lined up to his left for the last three years, Justin Pugh, was selected by the New York Giants with the 19th overall pick in the NFL Draft.In all, four Syracuse players have joined NFL teams this weekend. The Giants selected former Orange quarterback Ryan Nassib in the fourth round with the 110th overall pick, while the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted former Syracuse safety Shamarko Thomas immediately after with pick No. 111. Comments Published on April 27, 2013 at 9:47 pm Contact Chris: cjiseman@syr.edu | @chris_iseman Former Syracuse guard Zack Chibane will join the Buffalo Bills as an undrafted free agent.Chibane, who started all 38 games in his final three seasons with Syracuse, is going to be reunited with former Syracuse head coach Doug Marrone, who became the Bills’ head coach in January.Chibane tweeted about his move to Buffalo on Saturday, calling the process “stressful.”last_img read more

Storify: Fans react to Syracuse’s tight win over N.C. State

crnxvyrrzaxq

first_img[View the story “No. 1 Syracuse defeats N.C. State 56-55 in final seconds to stay undefeated” on Storify] Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on February 15, 2014 at 9:59 pm Contact Meredith: mhnewman@syr.edu | @MerNewman93last_img

Call for end to inter-county replays.

crnxvyrrzaxq

first_imgTwo Tipperary clubs have tabled a motion to the forthcoming convention calling for extra-time to be played in all inter-county championship games.Burgess and JK Brackens are the clubs in question. Their call follows a much disrupted county senior hurling and football championship due to Tipp’s involvement in both codes at All Ireland level which was added to by the replay needed following the drawn All Ireland final against Kilkenny.Two ten minute periods of extra time are being called for by Burgess.last_img read more

Creedon says Tipp footballers need to push on.

crnxvyrrzaxq

first_imgThey’ve been boosted by the news that Under 21 captain Colin O’Riordan will be fit to face the Munster and All Ireland champions.Senior manager Peter Creedon feels getting to Munster finals and beating the top teams in the country is the next goal for the Premier footballers.He says Tipp need to be beating the likes of Cork and Kerry.last_img

HiFL 2019: Premier Cool, Man City Partner HiFL on ‘Coach the…

crnxvyrrzaxq

first_imgAs part of measures to make the 2019 Higher Institutions Football league season, bigger, bolder and better, PACE Sports and Entertainment Marketing and the Nigerian University Games Association (NUGA) recently partnered Premier Cool and Manchester City to host an all-impactful Coaching Clinic in Lagos.During the two-day session, top varsity coaches across Nigeria were exposed to thelatest developments in player development, preparations, tactical innovations among others.Speaking on this groundbreaking event, Chief Strategy Officer, PACE Sports and Entertainment Marketing, Mr. Olamide Adeyemo expressed his excitement with the initiative and praised Premier Cool for its efforts in partnering the growth of Nigeria’s collegiate sports. “From the outset of HiFL, we have always emphasized our hopes and dreams that the platform will provide opportunities for growth and development not just for the players but also for every stakeholder in the spectrum. As such, we are excited to have coaches from a top club like Manchester City FC on ground to train the coaches.“This, we believe will improve them personally and by extension the quality of play in HiFL. We are grateful to Premier Cool and will continue to work with them on the quest to develop collegiate sports in the country.” Olamide enthused.In a statement, Head of Marketing, PZ Cussons Consumer, Mr. Charles Nnochiri expressed the rationale behind sponsoring HiFL and the 2019 coaching clinic as a part of the company’s vision of delivering sustainable value to everyone, everywhere.“One of our values at PZ Cussons has always been to add value wherever we find ourselves, as such we thought it best to merge the best of both worlds – our sponsorship of HiFL along with our partnership with global football powerhouse, Manchester City FC.“Coaching the Coaches” is here as the first of its kind experience for the best collegiate coaches in the country to be globally relevant and competitive. We are proud to be at the forefront of this wave of change blowing across collegiate sports,” he concluded.While speaking on the involvement of Manchester City, Technical Director, Man City Football Schools, Andy Smith, admitted that although it is the first time Man City will be partnering to deliver a coaching clinic in Nigeria, the club is very glad to impact the coaches with Manchester City’s playing philosophy.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Warriors control their destiny, Stephen Curry says

crnxvyrrzaxq

first_imgDeMarcus Cousins starred for the Warriors with 28 points, 12 rebounds and five assists, while Curry contributed 17 points of his own.The victory keeps the Warriors on course to secure the No. 1 seed in the West, and Curry is delighted they have control of their seeding in the postseason.”We’ve talked about it [being the No. 1 seed], we understand what we need to do,” Curry told reporters. “We’ve had some slip-ups along the way but the narrative for us [is] how we play, what little things we need to focus on [that] will create good habits going into the playoffs.”And hopefully through that process, down the stretch of the season, we win games and take care of our business.”Tonight was a good night to set ourselves up to control our own destiny down the stretch.”No. 4 scorer in franchise history.Pretty special, indeed. pic.twitter.com/09l69kGStV— Golden State Warriors (@warriors) April 3, 2019Curry’s 17-point night saw him move to fourth on the all-time scoring list for the Warriors, passing Chris Mullen. Tuesday’s victory over the Nuggets leaves the Warriors in control of their destiny this season, star point guard Stephen Curry says.The top two teams in the Western Conference were separated by only one game before their meeting at Oracle Arena, but the Warriors extended that to two with a 116-102 win. However, it was not a milestone the three-time NBA champion was aware of before he game.”I did not know that that was on the horizon,” he said. “So it kind of caught me off-guard but it was a pretty special night. “[It’s a] pretty cool moment. I’ll hopefully talk to him [Mullen] or see him at some point and we’ll share a good moment.”last_img read more

Women’s World Cup 2019: Amandine Henry volleys France into last eight, ousts Brazil

crnxvyrrzaxq

first_img Women’s World Cup 2019: Full bracket, dates, times, TV channels, results for every match Eugenie Le Sommer wastefully headed wide for France, while Tamires was flagged offside as she ran through and dispatched what would have been a late Brazil winner.A vital last-ditch block from Griedge Mbock Bathy then kept Debinha from scoring after a lung-busting run moments before half-time in extra time. And Henry struck decisively less than a minute after the restart, volleying Amel Majri’s right-wing free-kick past Barbara at close range to give France a lead they could this time protect. Women’s World Cup 2019: England advances as Cameroon outraged by referee calls Women’s World Cup 2019: Jill Ellis unfazed by USWNT’s short rest ahead of Spain match Le buuuuuut pour l’Equipe de France !!! Amandine Henry !!!!!!!! (2-1) #FiersdetreBleues #FRA pic.twitter.com/TfWNv9fw6I— Equipe de France (@equipedefrance) June 23, 2019France thought they led following the first real incident of note as Gauvin challenged advancing goalkeeper Barbara for Kadidiatou Diani’s right-wing cross and the ball looped into the net. But both players required treatment and then referee Marie-Soleil Beaudoin assessed the incident in a VAR review, deeming Gauvin to have fouled Barbara and ruling the goal out.There was no denying Gauvin seven minutes into the second half, though, as she stretched to meet Diani’s teasing low cutback and stabbed into the top-left corner of the net.Cristiane — denied by Sarah Bouhaddi before the break — almost leveled immediately, towering a header against the crossbar, and Brazil did not have to wait long for the equalizer.Thaisa drilled past Bouhaddi and Beaudoin referred to the VAR to see a call for offside earlier in the move overturned. Captain Amandine Henry scored an extra-time winner as France battled into the Women’s World Cup quarterfinals with a 2-1 win over Brazil.The host country made it four wins from four but needed 120 minutes after an end-to-end contest in front of a partisan crowd at the Stade Oceane on Sunday. Goals were disallowed at either end in normal time while Valerie Gauvin and Thaisa struck with legal efforts, teeing up an additional period where Henry became the hero.Another significant hurdle cleared, France will face Spain or defending champions the United States in the last eight as they chase a first title. Related Newslast_img read more

USWNT’s gender discrimination lawsuit against U.S. Soccer set for May 2020 trial

crnxvyrrzaxq

first_imgThe United States women’s national team will take their fight for equality to court.A judge set a May 2020 court date for the USWNT’s gender discrimination lawsuit against the U.S. Soccer Federation, the New York Times reported Monday. U.S. Soccer hires lobbyists to fight USWNT players’ claim of being underpaid, report says A trial in the USWNT players’ pay equity suit is set to start May 5, 2020, a judge ruled today according to players’ spokeswoman Molly Levinson. It is an aggressive timeline as the sides’ proposed plan would’ve had the trial start in December 2020. Here is the players’ statement: pic.twitter.com/lkfK2SY1ch— Zach Zagger (@ZachZagger) August 19, 2019The suit, filed by all 28 players on the 2015 world championship team in May, alleges the sanctioning body has for years engaged in “institutionalized gender discrimination,” affecting everything from their pay, training and travel to medical treatment.The federation responded to the suit a couple months after it was filed, claiming the men’s and women’s national teams are two separate entities with “different competitions, venues and countries at different times; have different coaches, staff and leadership; have separate collective bargaining agreements; and have separate budgets that take into account the different revenue that the teams generate.” U.S. Senator: No equal pay for USWNT, no federal money for 2026 World Cup Jill Ellis steps down as USWNT coach after back-to-back Women’s World Cup titles The timeline was earlier than either party expected.”We are pleased with the expeditious schedule that has been set by the court and we are eager to move forward with this case,” USWNT spokeswoman Molly Levinson said in a statement. “We very much look forward to the trial in May 2020 when the players will have their day in court. We have every confidence that these world champion athletes will get what they legally deserve — nothing less than equal pay and working conditions.” Related News Both sides met to try and find common ground on the issue last week, but those mediation talks reportedly broke down, which prompted a judge to schedule the trial.The USWNT will enter court off its fourth World Cup title.last_img read more