11 01 20

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Jury selection is set to begin today. If convicted, Webb could face more than 18 years in prison. Prosecutors declined to comment on details of the case. Webb, 46, has pleaded not guilty to felony charges of attempted voluntary manslaughter and assault with a firearm in the Jan. 29, 2006, shooting that was filmed by a bystander and aired by TV stations nationwide. Webb believed he was “doing what he needed to do,” San Bernardino County District Attorney Michael Ramos said when the charges were announced last year. “In our legal analysis, that was unreasonable,” Webb added. SAN BERNARDINO – The grainy amateur video seems to show a sheriff’s deputy shooting a U.S. airman three times as he struggles to obey an order to get up from the ground. But it’s what the video doesn’t show that could take center stage at the upcoming trial of former San Bernardino County sheriff’s Deputy Ivory J. Webb Jr. After shooting the airman, Webb told investigators he thought 21-year-old Elio Carrion was reaching for a weapon – something that’s not clear on the 40-second video clip. Authorities later determined Carrion was unarmed. Still, analysts say acquittals in previous high-profile police-brutality trials show that the deputy’s contention could prevail in the case. last_img read more