BANGALORE, India (CMC):Chris Gayle’s batting failures continued as his Jamaica and West Indies teammate, AndrÈ Russell, upstaged him with an electrifying cameo to fire Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) to an important win in the Indian Premier League here yesterday.Entering the run chase with KKR in a spot of bother at 69 for four in the 11th over – in pursuit of 186 for victory – the right-handed Russell reignited the innings with 39 off 24 balls as the visitors reached their target off the first ball of the final over.Yusuf Pathan finished on 60 not out off 29 deliveries, posting an invaluable 96 for the fifth wicket with Russell, who blasted a four and four sixes.Captain and opener Gautam Gambhir stroked 37 off 29 balls.The victory allowed KKR to move into second place on 10 points, ahead of Mumbai Indians, courtesy of a superior net run rate.Gujarat Lions remained clear at the top on 12 points.Sent in at the M Chinnaswamy Stadium, RCB were powered by a joint top score of 52 from captain Virat Kohli and opener Lokesh Rahul, as they reached 185 for seven off their 20 overs.RUN OF LOW SCORESAustralian Shane Watson chimed in with 34, while the left-handed Gayle continued his run of low scores with seven.Subdued by Russell in the first over, Gayle seemed ready to explode when he struck South African seamer Morne Morkel straight overhead for six, off in the second over of the innings.Next ball, however, Gayle miscued a pull at a ball of shortish length and skied a catch to the wicketkeeper at eight for one.Gayle has scored eight runs in three innings for RCB this season and all told, has now failed to reach double figures in six consecutive innings since his hundred against England in the Twenty20 World Cup last March.Russell claimed one for 24 from four overs of pace, while West Indies off-spinner Sunil Narine went wicketless from his four overs which cost 45 runs.
Basena takes the team through final drills at the Bible Study Center before departure to Rwanda. Photo by Shaban Benteke.By Shaban BentekeFOOTBALL–Onduparaka and Cranes hopeful Mohammad Shaban will not be part of the Uganda Cranes team travelling to Rwanda for the return leg of the final round of the Total CHAN 2018 qualifiers.Coach Moses Basena has sidelined Shaban along with his Onduparaka teammate Rashid Toha goalkeeper Saidi Keni of Proline and SC Villa left back John Adriko.The team conducted the last training session at the Africa Bible University play ground in Lubowa Thursday morning before departing later in the day. Basena announced the team immediately after the training session.Team captain Bernard Muwanga promised victory against Rwanda’s Amavubi so as to propel the country to CHAN 2018 in Kenya.“The captain is a commander and the commander is rated after war. I am therefore, looking forward to being rated the best after this war against Rwanda,” Muwanga told PML Daily.Muwanga said there will be no complacency as Cranes face off with Rwanda on Saturday.“We will not sit back and relax because of the 3-0 lead in Kampala,” he said.Basena said the game will not be taken lightly because there is still a lot to play for.” Yes we hold an advantage going into the return leg but as i said before, complacency is the worst thing that can happen to us in Rwanda,” he said.Cranes team to play against Rwanda.Rwanda Amavubi Stars Vs Uganda Cranes Time: Saturday 19th August 2017 Kigali Regional Stadium, Nyamirambo 4pmGoalkeepers: Ismael Watenga and Benjamin Ochan Defenders. Nico Wakiro Wadada, Isaac Muleme, Martin Kizza, Bernard Muwanga, Timothy Awany and Paul Musamali. Midfielders. Deus Bukenya, Muzamir Mutyaba, Shafic Kagimu, Moses Waiswa, Tom Matsiko and Simon Sserunkuma. Fowards. Milton Karisa, Paul Mucureezi, Derrick Nsibambi and Erisa Ssekisambu.Comments
10 May 2013 Companies from around the world committed US$3.5-billion in investments to Africa’s agricultural development over the last year under the stewardship of the Grow Africa partnership, it was reported at the 2013 Grow Africa Investment Forum in Cape Town on Thursday. The forum, which took place on the first day of the 23rd World Economic Forum on Africa, saw 126 companies taking part, including 58 African and 60 international companies, plus a further eight from other regions, including South Asia and the Middle East. Grow Africa is a partnership of the African Union Commission, Nepad and World Economic Forum that seeks to accelerate private-sector investment for sustainable growth in African agriculture. It does this in part by helping African countries to create investment environments conducive to partnership-based investments in agriculture “that make a real difference to incomes, food security and broader development”. According to the Grow Africa annual report, released on Thursday, last year marked a major shift in the quality and quantity of private-sector commitments to the continent’s agricultural development. Of the $3.5-billion in investments committed in eight African countries in 2012, more than $60-million had so far been invested in activities bringing smallholder farmers into commercial, market-based farming, Grow Africa reported. Approximately 270 000 million tonnes of commodities were sourced within Grow Africa partner countries – the vast majority from smallholders – with the equivalent of around $300-million in sales from these farmers being fed into the market system. In addition, the annual report stated, almost 800 000 smallholder farmers were reached with a mix of training, sourcing and service provision. Grow Africa would now be moving into “an operational phase”, channeling the investment it had generated directly into projects. “In recognition of this step and the strength of Grow Africa as a platform to bring much-needed investment into Africa’s agriculture, the United States Agency for International Development (USAid) committed $9.5-million to Grow Africa this week,” the partnership said. “These funds will be used to drive Grow Africa fully into its operational phase, including setting up a secretariat in Africa.” Announcing the grant at Thursday’s forum, USAid administrator Rajiv Shah said USAid was pleased to support “such a results-oriented initiative that is successfully demonstrating how the private sector can help to drive a partnership-based approach to developing Africa’s agricultural potential”. Philip Kiriro, chairman of Kenya’s Eastern Africa Farmers Federation, told delegates that innovative partnerships were “demonstrating that inclusive business models can be commercially competitive, while integrating smallholders into value chains. “Grow Africa has reached 800 000 African smallholders, but there are still more than half-a-billion that we have not. 2013 must focus on scaling up,” Kiriro said. SAinfo reporter
About the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say Robertson challenges Liverpool to maintain recordby Ansser Sadiqa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool defender Andy Robertson wants to see his side maintain their perfect record in the Premier League.The Reds made it six out of six after an impressive and battling 2-1 win at Stamford Bridge against Chelsea.It was a tough game, with the Reds hanging on in the second half.But they got all three points, and Robertson wants to see them do the same in their coming fixtures.”It’s all about winning games and to keep on moving forward, so we cannot dwell on this,” said Scotland captain Robertson to reporters. “We have got another big week coming up and we just focus on our own game, we don’t focus on anything else other than that.”There are big challenges ahead and we need to keep ticking them off. In this period, if we can keep it going until the internationals and keep looking at the fixtures then that is what we’ll do. We’ve got a tough run but if we can get to the next internationals with positive results then we’ll be in a very good place.”Hopefully we can go one better than last season in terms of finishing second. We won the Champions League but we want the Premier League and hopefully this season we do that. But, there is a long, long way to go and everyone behind us will be waiting for us to drop points.”So I am sure they will be ready to pounce, so we need to be ready for that and I think last season has helped us massively for that.”
Lazio coach Inzaghi upset with Gasperini after six-goal thrillerby Carlos Volcano5 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLazio coach Simone Inzaghi was disappointed with Atalanta rival Gian Piero Gasperini after Saturday’s 3-3 thriller.The Aquile fought back from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 – including two Ciro Immobile spot-kicks.“It was a very clear match. Atalanta dominated the first half, while we dominated the second with three extraordinary scoring opportunities on top of the goals. Thomas Strakosha only made one save after the break,” insisted Inzaghi in his Press conference.Gasperini was furious in his post-match interview, claiming Immobile had ‘dived’ for both penalties.“I admire him as a colleague. I listen to his words, but I do not accept them, because the two penalties are clear. We lost the Champions League place twice due to refereeing incidents, so in this sport you have to accept situations and especially today, when they were very clear.“I am disappointed he decided to say these things about Immobile, as there was clear contact.” About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
Sophomore guard Cait Craft (13) walks off the court during a timeout in a game against Iowa Jan. 19 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU lost, 81-74.Credit: Ryan Robey / For The LanternThe Ohio State women’s basketball team (12-9, 2-3) is currently on a two-game losing streak, but it has a chance to gain ground in the conference standings by notching a win against Big Ten rival Michigan (13-5, 4-1) Thursday.The Buckeyes are currently tied for seventh in the Big Ten with Indiana, Northwestern and Wisconsin, while the Wolverines are tied for first place with Penn State and in-state rival Michigan State.In the two teams’ first meeting this season, Michigan won against OSU, 64-49, in Columbus Jan. 5, in a game where offense was hard to come by. The Buckeyes only managed 13 first-half points, a performance that coach Kevin McGuff described as “ugly.”“We did not play well offensively,” McGuff said. “They had a good defensive game plan and we did not react well.”The Buckeyes shot just 31.3 percent from the field in the Michigan loss but showed improvement in that category during Sunday’s loss to Iowa, in which they shot 49.2 percent.Despite a better shooting performance against the Hawkeyes, the feeling in the locker room was still one of disappointment, sophomore guard Cait Craft said.“Lately, the games that we keep coming up short in … it is like we are not even there,” Craft said, referring to the team’s tendency to start slow. “To keep coming back and coming up just a little bit short is disappointing for everybody.”Craft’s comments pertained to the Iowa game in particular, since the Buckeyes dug themselves a 17-point hole and spent the entire game trying to catch up, ultimately losing 81-74.Although the team has been getting off to slow starts because of poor shooting, redshirt-junior guard Amy Scullion said she and her teammates need to keep moving forward and not dwell on losses.“You cannot focus on the past and what we have done wrong,” Scullion said. “Coach (McGuff) put in a new offense for us … (and) moving forward, we are going to try to get a lot more dribble penetration.”OSU has seen success when it rebounds effectively and is 10-0 on the season when outrebounding opponents. Consequently, rebounding well against Michigan during Thursday night’s matchup looks to be a focal point for the team.“It is something that we are always conscience of,” McGuff said. “That will be a big deal for us this week.”While the Buckeyes struggled offensively in their first matchup against Michigan, their defense did hold the Wolverines to more than eight points below than their season average of 72.7 points per game.“By and large, that was not the end of the floor that was our biggest issue,” McGuff said of his team’s defense in the earlier loss to Michigan. “We need to find a way to generate more offense.”The Buckeyes are set to tip off at 7 p.m. Thursday against Michigan in Ann Arbor, Mich.
Young Boys Coach Gerardo Seoane has revealed he wanted his team face a Juventus team that had Cristiano Ronaldo on the pitch.The Swiss side is in Turin to face Juve in their second Champions League group game, but CR7 is suspended after being sent off against Valencia.“We’re sad that Ronaldo isn’t there, it’s the same for any injured or suspended the player,” Seoane said in his pre-match Press conference.“It would have been nice for us to face him on the pitch, but if Ronaldo doesn’t play then another champion will because Juventus have good alternatives in every area.“It would have been nice to see him on the pitch though.”Seoane was asked if his side are nervous about taking on one of the favourites to win the competition.Juventus confirm Mario Mandzukic could leave this month Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Sporting director Fabio Paratici confirmed reports that Mario Mandzukic could leave Juventus for a move to an unnamed Qatari team.“The team is always focused, every game. We know that every day presents a new challenge and different opponents to face.“The players are very focused and I think the atmosphere can help a lot with that.“It’s a different situation [to Manchester United], we’re away for this one and there’s a big difference.“It’s our first Champions League and we know there isn’t much room for mistakes. We must always perform well, always make the right choices, and be attentive in both attack and defence.“Of course we know that the opponent matters too, so it’ll be a very difficult game.“[Jordan] Lotomba has been injured for some time and is unavailable, and also Kevin Mbabu is out for this game, unfortunately.”
WILMINGTON, MA — On the latest episode of “All About The Flavors,” host and Wilmington resident Bob Hamel shares recipes for three side dishes — onion string, eggplant stack, and baked spinach.Watch the 22-minute episode, courtesy of Wilmington Community Television, below:—Video Playerhttps://s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/wilmington.castus-vod/vod/video/4eae3024-6b70-4dd8-9630-8cd88b5844fa/video.original.mp400:0000:0022:22Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.—Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedVIDEO: Watch Wilmington Resident Share Recipes For Salads Featuring Grilled FruitIn “Videos”VIDEO: Watch Wilmington Resident Share His Meatloaf RecipeIn “Videos”VIDEO: Watch Wilmington Resident Share Recipe For French Onion SoupIn “Videos”
Share Neil Leifer/ Courtesy of Sports Illustrated Content ManagementCarl Lewis at the 1984 Olympics, during which he won four gold medals.The Olympic games — including the 2018 Winter Olympics currently underway in PyeongChang, South Korea — have always existed against the background of all kinds of societal change and turmoil — from the buildup to World War II in the 1930s, to the Civil Rights movement of the ’50s and ’60s, to the Black Lives Matter movement of today.And that turmoil and change often overlapped into the games, from Jesse Owens winning gold in front of Adolf Hitler at the 1936 games in Berlin, to the Black Power salute from the Olympic podium in 1968.To discuss the history of black athletes at the Olympics, Houston Matters host Craig Cohen talks with nine-time Olympic gold medalist Carl Lewis, and Dr. Billy Hawkins, a professor at the University of Houston’s Department of Health and Human Performance.Michael HagertyHouston Public Media’s Eddie Robinson talks with nine-time Olympic gold medalist Carl Lewis.Our conversation is part of Houston Public Media’s Legacies initiative, in partnership with Houston’s historically black universities, Prairie View A&M and Texas Southern.MORE: Houston Public Media’s Eddie Robinson talks with nine-time Olympic gold medalist Carl Lewis.
By Micha Green, AFRO Washington, D.C. Editor, firstname.lastname@example.orgA gated community and posh restaurant served as the backdrop of the camaraderie at the forefront of State’s Attorney Aisha Braveboy’s “45 and Fabulous Birthday Party,” at The Grove in Upper Marlboro, Md. on August 1. The celebration brought out several politicians, public servants and members of the Prince George’s “who’s who,” all of whom were excited to celebrate the State’s Attorney’s 45th year, but also to celebrate her recent accomplishment in rolling out the plan for youth justice reform in the County.“I just want to let you know that when you elected me, you elected someone that actually means what she says and will deliver on promises,” Braveboy said at her birthday party the day after the youth justice reform was announced. State’s Attorney Aisha Braveboy celebrated with her 45 and Fabulous party at The Grove in Upper Marlboro, Md. on August 1. (Courtesy Photo)Ever the politician, Braveboy couldn’t help but discuss the new reform program even as she was partying celebrating her 45th year.“I was blessed to be able to lay out, what I believe, will be the gold standard of juvenile or youth justice reform. And we are not playing. We are reviewing every single charge and screening it for diversion options, because we know institutionalizing our young people is never the answer,” she said.Many notable Prince Georgians and elected officials expressed their pride in Braveboy’s work.“[God] said to whom much is given, much is required- and I think Aisha has done that and then some,” County Executive Angela Alsobrook said. “She has a heart for service. She loves the community, she loves her family, she loves the young people of this community, and she’s worth celebrating.”Alsobrooks and other speakers, such as Maryland Delegate and former Prince George’s County Sherriff Michael Jackson, talked about the trend of native Prince Georgians being leaders of the County.“We’re homegrown Prince Georgians. We have talent and we have more to come,” he said.“I’m proud of this young lady. This young lady has represented all of the other 25th legislative team members- the area that I grew up in…. The area that my family still resides in,” Jackson said. “We’re all proud of her in Prince George’s County.”President of the Maryland Senate, Thomas “Mike” Miller Jr. also shared his pride in Braveboy and her accomplishments.“We were there in the primary for Aisha. We were there in the general, despite the fact we had a member of our own Senate running against her- that was very tough for us, believe me. But we looked at the candidates, we looked at the qualifications, and the fact that she was a woman mattered a whole lot,” Miller said.Braveboy talked about the beauty of turning 45.“You know what I am so happy to be 45. You know why? Because 45 is an age where you’re old enough and wise enough to know the things you should not do. But you’re still somewhat naïve enough to think you can still move mountains- that you can make things happen. And that’s a great age and a great place to be in this age of leadership.”The State’s Attorney also offered a little inspiration to guests.“Your only limitations are your dreams, your aspirations and your work ethic.”