23 Derby St, Vaucluse sold under the hammer for $7.6 million.In a week where state lines are drawn, tribal colours are worn and slander against interstate rivals is encouraged in the workplace, I thought I’d dive in and see how the Queensland vs. New South Wales property game would measure up.As a parochial Queenslander, I was feeling confident about this battle after a super successful night of auctions on Wednesday.I fired the gavel multiple times on the night with 15 out of 20 auctions sold either under the hammer or before by the end of the evening. Four of those properties sold above $2 million dollars, two of which were more than $3 million.There was an average of more than four bidders per property. So with my 75 per cent clearance rate, I opened dialogue with my good mate Jason Andrew, from Ray White in Sydney to see how they were measuring up.Jason told me that last week Ray White Double Bay had 14 auctions with 13 selling before or on the night. Their clearance was 95 per cent totalling $55 million in sales with two stand out sales at 8 Rupertswood Ave, Bellevue Hill for $8 million and 23 Derby St, Vaucluse for $7.6 million.Going through the numbers we put this one down as a win for the Blues and went on to game two.On Wednesday night with 14 registered bidders I auctioned 184 Annie St, New Farm. The property was on 354sq m and the word renovator is a generous description!It sold under the hammer, after a heated bidding exchange to $1.34 million.A renovator’s delight at 184 Annie St, New Farm sold at auction for $1.34 million. Picture: realestate.com.auAfter playing my ace I was eager to see Jason’s cards and hear what he’d sold in the last week that could top that.Casually, he told me about a modest one-bedroom unit in Potts Point that he sold last week. I started to feel queasy. The unit was at 481/50 Macleay St, Potts Point and from the photos online I could see it was well presented but tiny.More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home4 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor4 hours agoBy my rough calculations from the floor plan it’s about 55sq m. As his tone started to get bolder I could hear his smile through the phone as he told me they sold the property under the hammer for $1.050 million – NSW clearly taking the win.Haesley Cush reckons the Sydney property powerhouse will continue to perform.We decided to continue our curiosity and had a quick look at the numbers. The first place to start is population, Sydney – 4.5 million Vs Brisbane – 2.2 million.We then compared five markets and the numbers of properties for sale in comparable suburbs in each state. Check out the numbers:Total properties for sale – based on suburb search in realestate.com.au:Brisbane 371 Vs Sydney CBD 144Ascot 94 Vs Double Bay 11New Farm 117 Vs Surry Hills 41Hamilton 207 Vs Bondi 25Fortitude Valley 161 Vs Darlinghurst 30In every area Sydney stock levels were considerably less than half the Brisbane equivalent. Add that to double the population and it’s a knockout property blow and a clean sweep for the Blues.With talk this week of the Sydney market easing, you struggle to see how with such a limited number of properties for sale and such a huge volume of people wanting to buy. Competition fuels confidence and with Sydney stock levels shrinking combined with its massive population it becomes a lot clearer as to why this property powerhouse has continued to perform in the face of naysayers over the last five years.
The Food Safety Authority of Ireland says it has closed down a Co Donegal takeaway food business due to health fears.The Spicy Food Guru on the Port Road in Letterkenny was served with a Closure Order on June 14th.The Enforcement Orders were issued by environmental health officers in the Health Service Executive. The order was lifted on June 20th after issues were complied with. The Just-Eat.Ie site has also removed the premises from its listings.Closure Orders were served under the FSAI Act, 1998 on:Doyle’s public house (closed area: Fleet Street basement), 9 College Street, Dublin 2Spicy Food Guru take-away, 59 Port Road, Letterkenny, DonegalPhelans Home Bakery, 14 Market Square, Portlaoise, LaoisSpar, 115 Grafton Street, Dublin 2Closure Orders were served under the EC (Official Control of Foodstuffs) Regulations, 2010 on:Morrisseys public house (closed area: kitchen only), Main Street, Abbeyleix, LaoisEatzen take-away, Unit 1 Main Street, Clonee, MeathCharcoal Kebab House restaurant, Patrick Street, Mountrath, LaoisOne successful prosecution was also taken by the Health Service Executive on Chungs at Tullio’s restaurant, Pearse Street, Ballina, Mayo. Prof. Alan Reilly, Chief Executive, FSAI expressed his disappointment at the need to serve such a high number of Closure Orders on food businesses in June and asked that food businesses be ever more rigorous in maintaining the highest standards of food safety and hygiene at all times. He states that consumers have a right to feel confident that the food they are purchasing is safe to eat and that every Closure Order undermines that confidence, which affects not only the premises involved, but the industry as a whole.“The seven Closure Orders served in June bring to 39 the total number of Enforcement Orders served to date in 2012. Each of these orders sends a clear message to food businesses that we will not tolerate unsafe food safety practices or non-compliance with food legislation,” states Prof Reilly. “Of vital importance at the moment is the strict adherence to hot and cold temperature controls, as bacteria can double every 20 minutes at room temperature. This is why the failure by some food businesses to comply with best food safety practices is particularly concerning during the summer months, when a marked increase in foodborne disease trends can occur due to warmer overall temperatures.”Prof. Reilly notes that, while the legal onus is on food businesses to provide safe food, the inspectors and the FSAI do provide assistance, support and advice. He states that the FSAI’s helpline is manned by trained advisors and is a resource to any food business that needs advice.“There is no excuse for any food business not to comply with the law and if anyone has a question or indeed a complaint to make about a food business they can contact our advice line (1890 336677), visit our website or visit our facebook page.”Details of the food businesses served with these Enforcement Orders are published on the FSAI’s website at www.fsai.ie. Closure Orders and Improvement Orders will remain listed on the website for a period of three months from the date of when a premises is adjudged to have corrected its food safety issue, with Prohibition Orders being listed for a period of one month. CO DONEGAL TAKE AWAY CLOSED DOWN BY FOOD SAFETY BOSSES was last modified: July 10th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)