20 01 20

first_imgThe progressive three-year-old colt BUZZ NIGHTMARE should complete a hat-trick of wins in the third running of the O & S Tack Room and Supplies Trophy (restricted stakes) over 1300 metres at Caymanas Park today. Ten three-year-olds and up will face the starter.Trained by 14-time champion Philip Feanny, BUZZ NIGHTMARE has won three of his four races since his smashing debut over 1100 metres on February 28, winning by 11 lengths in the smart time of 1:05.3, with veteran jockey Ian ‘Dolly Baby’ Spence aboard.Following that impressive display, BUZZ NIGHTMARE was installed a howling 1-2 favourite for his next race, the valuable Prince Consort Guineas Trial Stakes over 1400 metres on March 14, but ran below expectations and was beaten into fifth place by SIEMPRE BUENO and POKER STAR behind a fast time (1:25.3).He was given a four-month respite (missing the classics as a result), but reporting well refreshed on July 18, slammed ACTION MAN by 10 lengths over 1100 metres in fast time, and quickly followed up over the round five course on August 6 when leading home ROYAL ASSAULT.post-to-post winsHis two recent wins were not only achieved in fast times, but in post-to-post fashion, suggesting that BUZZ NIGHTMARE is on top of his game at present.True, the 3-y-o bay colt by Into Mischief out of Queen Of Battle faces three worthy opponents in ROAD WI SEH, SHINING LIGHT, and the American-bred 3-y-o colt BRAWN, but BUZZ NIGHTMARE strikes me as having a bit more class than any of the three.He has looked sharp at exercise, and having secured a perfect draw on the outside, should race into an early lead over ROYAL ASSAULT and the Lorne Kirlew-trained ROAD WI SEH (working well) at the half mile, holding the latter at bay in deep stretch, even with the sparingly-used Spence in the saddle. It should be recalled that Spence was aboard ‘BUZZ’ when winning on his debut and the jockey has been his constant partner at exercise in the mornings.Other firm fancies on the card are down-in-class ABOVE THE RADAR in the opening race over 1820 metres; TARANIS in the second; in-form NEW KINGSTON in the third; ROUGH PATRICK in the fifth; and PRINCE ANDREW in the eighth for overnight allowance horses.last_img read more

12 01 20

first_img…calls for apologyThe Indian Action Committee (IAC) has said it is “shocked and outraged” by the insensitive ethnic remarks made by Education Minister Nicolette Henry in the National Assembly on Thursday, December 7, 2017 during her Budget Debate presentation.The IAC, in a statement, said it recognises that this Government minister has been in a controversial situation before, when she referred to ‘Phagwah’ as ‘Diwali’, but the organisation had at the time excused the minister’s lapse, given that she was new on the job, even though, as a Guyanese, she should have known the difference for many years.The IAC has said that in this instance, having watched and listened to the video of the minister’s comment, in which she said the following words: “I am not a ‘chhatri’ so I may not know when there is Diwali or Phagwah…”, this performance by Minister Henry is being viewed as one which demonstrates an arrogant disdain for things Indian, thus illustrating unbecoming behaviour on the part of a Government minister.The IAC says it strongly feels that Minister Henry is out of order, and has insulted more than half of the population of Guyana, who are persons of Indo-Guyanese origin.The IAC has said it cannot make any sensible connection in the minister’s usage of the term ‘chhatri’, on the one hand, and Phagwah and Diwali on the other hand, given that the term ‘chhatri’ refers to one of the main Hindu castes of India, and Phagwah and Diwali are distinct festivals of India, and are national holidays of Guyana.The IAC said it is “extremely bewildered by this statement of the Minister, given the fact that she was already embroiled in a controversy regarding the festivals of Phagwah and Diwali earlier in March this year, and the organisation, this time, will not excuse this Minister for her gross insult to Indo-Guyanese”.The IAC, in light of this uneducated outburst, has lost all confidence in Education Minister Henry, and is calling upon President Granger to ensure that she makes a public apology to all persons of Indo-Guyanese origin who have been insulted by her insensitive ethnic comment.last_img read more

11 01 20

first_imgTHERE’S something about a sequel that’s nigh impossible for L.A. to resist. Add in the always-favorite animal angle, and it’s a surefire hit. That must be why the return of Reggie the alligator (actually, he’s a caiman) on Monday after an 18-month absence has all of Los Angeles – not to mention the rest of the nation – atwitter. Collectively, we always suspected that the predator didn’t die from ingesting soda cans or pollution in the murky, harbor-adjacent Lake Machado. He was too tough for that. Now that the large alligator’s presence has been confirmed, authorities must now come up with a solid Reggie plan of action. If he is to stay in L.A. – as he and his many fans clearly want – then the city must develop safety precautions that keep both park visitors and Reggie himself as safe as possible. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

11 01 20

first_imgThe Mizpah Transition House is receiving $10,000 in funding, and the Chetwynd Safe Home, and Tumbler Ridge Safe Homes will receive $5,000 each. The funding was announced yesterday by Peace River South MLA Mike Bernier.The money will aid the South Peace Community Resources Society in improving programs and services and to make them more accessible to Aboriginal women and children in rural and remote communities according to a release.In particular the funding will be used for things such as transportation to a transition house or safe home, a doctor’s appointment, lawyer meeting, or flying a high risk client out of the community, medical and legal services, and clothing and personal items if a woman or child has had to leave their home quickly.- Advertisement –last_img read more

10 01 20

first_img0Shares0000A furious Gianluigi Buffon was sent off for vehemently protesting the decision to award Real Madrid a late penalty in their Champions League tie © AFP/File / OSCAR DEL POZOMILAN, Italy, Apr 16 – Juventus captain Gianluigi Buffon conceded Monday that sometimes he gets it wrong but that the dramatic Champions League game against Real Madrid had made him feel alive.The 40-year-old goalkeeper was sent-off by referee Michael Oliver after his furious reaction to a last-minute penalty at the Bernabeu Stadium which dumped Juventus out of the Champions League. Deprived of what could likely be his last chance to lift the only major title missing from his collection the 2006 World Cup winner mercilessly blasted the referee after the game as “a murderer” for killing off Juventus’ dreams with “a rubbish bin” in place of a heart.“The decisions we make are a way of defining ourselves and making us what we want to be,” Buffon said at a sponsors event in Turin on Monday.“You can even go too far, sometimes getting it wrong. But that means you’re alive, and that’s why I came into the world.“After the Bernabeu I went for long walks, mushrooms and daisies. It was a week that allowed me to experience strong emotions, beautiful, pure adrenaline.“I also live for that.”Italy icon Buffon has said this will be his last season and he announced his international retirement after Italy’s dramatic failure to qualify for the World Cup finals for the first time in 60 years.“Being captain of the national team is the greatest gift that life has given me,” said Buffon, who returned to play friendlies last month against England and Argentina with the Azzurri.Juventus — two-time losing finalists in the past three years — bounced back from their Champions League disappointment with a 3-0 win over Sampdoria on Sunday which puts them on the brink of a seventh consecutive Serie A title.And Buffon praised 19-year-old AC Milan goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma — touted as his successor in the national team — whose dramatic late save against Napoli could have handed Juventus the title.“I sent him a nice congratulatory text for his save on (Arkadiusz) Milik at the end,” Buffon added.Meanwhile, Italian referees’ chief Marcello Nicchi criticised Buffon earlier Monday for his post-match rant.“Buffon is a great champion who I hope will go on to have a great managerial career,” Nicchi told Italian radio.“But at certain levels you have to be careful about what you say. There are always kids listening.“If it happened in Italy? I would have defended the referee. They can’t be threatened either before, during, or after the game.“After that, there are the appropriate bodies which must judge the conduct of all players on the pitch.”English referee Oliver meanwhile has been offered police support after he and his family were abused by social media trolls.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

10 01 20

first_imgThe two-time world champions will face Guatemala in Los Angeles on September 7 and Colombia in New York four days later, before two friendlies later in the year against as-yet unnamed opponents.“Messi will not return this year and there are doubts about his future,” proclaimed Argentinian daily Clarin.News website Infobae said: “He will take a rest period, but that doesn’t mean he’s quitting.”“It is the coach who will say, when the time comes, what the situation is concerning Messi,” a team spokesman told AFP.Lionel Scaloni has been in temporary charge of Argentina since Jorge Sampaoli left after their disastrous World Cup tournament in Russia, where they were beaten 4-3 in the last 16 by France after an embarrassing 3-0 group-stage loss to Croatia.He will name his first squad for the visit to the United States later this week.“It’s very personal, Leo must take his time to think about it,” said Carlos Tevez, who is in Barcelona for Boca Juniors’ friendly on Wednesday at the Camp Nou.“It’s understandable… even if he doesn’t come back. When the international side play, rightly or wrongly, we criticise him. It’s bad for the team and for him… I understand because I’ve been in that situation.”Messi’s next chance to win his first major international title will be the 2019 Copa America in Brazil.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Messi endured a difficult World Cup as Argentina were dumped out by France in the last 16 © AFP/File / Mladen ANTONOVBUENOS AIRES, Argentina, Aug 15 – Captain Lionel Messi will miss Argentina’s next four friendly matches, according to local press reports on Tuesday.The five-time Ballon d’Or winner previously retired from the national side after their 2016 Copa America final defeat by Chile before returning to help them qualify for this year’s World Cup.last_img read more

30 12 19

first_imgHere’s the top transfer-related stories in Friday’s newspapers…Chelsea are set to make a stunning £100m double swoop to get their title defence back on track. The Blues will sign midfield superstar Paul Pogba from Juventus if the Italians are prepared to let him go for £60m and will also splash out £40m in a third attempt to land Everton centre-back John Stones. (Daily Star)And John Stones is ready to slap in a transfer request at Everton to force through his dream move to Chelsea. (The Sun)Chelsea will listen to offers for Juan Cuadrado or Victor Moses having completed the signing of Pedro from Barcelona for a fee that could rise to £21.4?million. (Daily Telegraph)David De Dea’s agent is planning crunch talks with Manchester United to force a move to Real Madrid. United’s No 1, 24, has seen his Real switch stall but is hopeful of being allowed to make the move this month. (The Sun)Manchester United are expected to make a formal bid of more than £20?million to sign Southampton’s Sadio Mané. United made an inquiry for the 23-year-old Senegal international last week but Southampton insist he is not for sale and that they will reject any attempt to sign him. (Daily Telegraph)Tottenham Hotspur are ready to table a second bid, in excess of £20m, for West Bromwich Albion striker Saido Berahino, as they try to bring in more support for Harry Kane in the final days of the transfer window. (Independent)Liverpool have offered Mamadou Sakho a new long-term contract despite the France international being omitted from Brendan Rodgers’ plans for the first two games of the Premier League season. (Guardian)Lucas is set to leave Liverpool and join Besiktas in a season-long loan move. (Daily Mirror)Everton are willing to meet Andriy Yarmolenko’s 20m Euros release clause as they step up their pursuit of the Ukrainian star. (Daily Mirror)West Ham hope to complete the signing of Robert Green in time for the QPR keeper to go straight into the side on Saturday. (Daily Mirror)Norwich are trying to set up an ambitious swap deal for Leigh Griffiths – with Gary Hooper going back to Celtic. (Daily Mirror)And here’s the latest talkSPORT.com headlines…Inter Milan defender snubs interest from West Brom and Norwich CityArsenal transfer rumours: Five players the Gunners could sign before the window closes Tottenham transfer report: Mauricio Pochettino plotting deal for £40m-rated Monaco sensationWatford transfer news: Quique Flores rubbishes link with Liverpool outcast Mario BalotelliPalermo chief frustrated in attempts to land Arsenal forward Joel CampbellEmanuele Giaccherini’s move to Bologna stalls over Sunderland’s £5m asking priceNaploli put £14.5m price tag on forward eyed by Liverpool and ArsenalReports – Manchester United and Tottenham both keen on Dynamo Moscow hitmanLiverpool outcast Mario Balotelli linked with Sevilla switch as Sampdoria turn to Dimitar BerbatovJuventus target Chelsea flop Juan Cuadrado as alternative to Julian DraxlerTransfer news: 14 HUGE deals rumoured to be on the cards, including Arsenal, Man United and Liverpool targetsDerby ready to raid Championship rivals Brighton for midfielder Dale StephensArsenal transfer latest: Gunners hold talks over PSG duo as Karim Benzema deal ruled outlast_img read more

30 12 19
first_imgThe increased costs came as construction crews either moved or built around the infrastructure, Shuter said. However, the Bradley terminal project remains on schedule for completion in February 2010, he said. “This really is very exciting, as you can imagine,” Airport Commissioner Valeria Velasco said of the airport projects. “We haven’t seen changes like this since 1984.” In other action, the airport commission signed off on a $7.2 million contract on Monday to purchase a house and two apartment buildings containing 33 units as part of an acquisition and relocation program for those who no longer want to live near LAX. The program allows homeowners living east and northeast of the airport to sell their property to LAWA. In turn, the airport agency provides relocation to more than 2,500 affected homeowners and tenants. So far, 463 houses and apartment buildings in Manchester Square and in neighborhoods between Airport Boulevard and Bedford Avenue have been acquired since the relocation program began in 2000, according to an airport report. About 106 more homes are scheduled to be acquired. Separately, the airport commission awarded a $515,900 contract to Orange- based AMD Construction Group to install triple-paned windows, thicker doors and other soundproofing measures to 50 condominium units near LAX. Soundproofing modifications were approved for 36 condo units at Manitoba West, three units at Manitoba Manor, 11 units at Villas Del Rey and one unit at Cross Creek Village, according to an airport report. art.marroquin@dailybreeze.com160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre An underground walkway equipped with a so-called people mover would connect the new facility to the Bradley terminal. “The tunnel and the design of the midfield terminal must be done in a way that is not just visually appealing but that lets the traveler ? feel like they have `made it’ once they get off the plane and won’t have to go through another onerous journey just to get to the Bradley terminal,” Airport Commissioner Fernando Torres-Gil said. About $11 million worth of environmental and engineering studies are pending for the Midfield Concourse. Next door, though, a series of problems has caused the Bradley terminal modernization project to run nearly $94 million over budget, according to Dave Shuter, deputy executive director of Los Angeles World Airports, the city agency that oversees LAX. The discovery of fuel-contaminated soil, along with underground storm drains and utility lines, has caused costs to soar from the original $629.7 million price tag to more than $723.6 million, Shuter said. By Art Marroquin Staff Writer Saying they hope to build a facility that tourists find welcoming, the Los Angeles Board of Airport Commissioners called for bids Monday to find an architect to design the new Midfield Concourse and an expanded Tom Bradley International Terminal. Set for completion in January 2012, the $1.2 billion Midfield Concourse would hold eight to 10 new gates capable of handling mega-size aircraft, such as the Airbus A380 and the Boeing 787. last_img
28 12 19

first_imgTHE Duchess of Cornwall spoke in Ulster Irish to the 220 pupils and their teachers during a visit to Ballyraine National School in Letterkenny.In an unplanned short speech in the assembly hall at the end of a tour of the school she began: “Cad é mar atá sibh?” (How are you?”.The Duchess said she and Prince Charles always looked forward to visiting Ireland and looked forward to returning again soon. “We love coming back to Ireland and are always surprised by the warmth of the welcome we get here and can’t wait to come back again,” she said.The Duchess had earlier watched a short musical production of ‘Chicken Licken’ before moving outside and going into the chicken coop to feed the school chickens.The coop had been renamed ‘Cluckingham Palace’.The Duchess also spent time meeting pupils of sixth class and some parents who are involved with the Pushkin Trust, a cross-border creative writing inititative founded by the Duchess of Abercorn who was also part of the visiting delegation. Isabelle Fisher (12) read from her piece on the after-effects of a hurricane.“The Duchess was so lovely. She told me I should keep writing and enter a competition in England and I might win it,” said Isabelle.Her teacher Donna McMullan said the visit by the Duchess had inspired her Year Six class.“The work of the Pushkin Trust has been invaluable in our school and to have the Duchess here today has been really exciting for everyone,” she said.Principal David Oliver said the Duchess had been impressed with the school’s organic herb and vegetable gardens.“We have been planning for the visit for weeks and I cannot thank the teachers and pupils enough for making the visit such a success,” said Mr Oliver. ROYAL VISIT: DUCHESS SPEAKS IN ULSTER IRISH AT BALLYRAINE NATIONAL SCHOOL was last modified: May 25th, 2016 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Ballerina National schooldonegalDUCHESS OF CORNWALLlast_img read more